Monday, February 25, 2008

My Reflection (Week 6) - Theory-Driven Call & The Development Process

In this article, it talks about the development processes of the CALL materials. Different CALL materials have different points of departure. Some CALL materials are built on a specific language problem while many of them are driven directly by a particular theory.

From my point of view, CALL materials should not only use a particular theory as the point of departure. The authors of the CALL materials, however, should consider more about the needs of the learners, especially in Hong Kong. It is because the educational system is totally different between Hong Kong and the western countries. Therefore, the needs between the learners are also different. I always find that many CALL materials are in fact not suitable for the students in Hong Kong. They may be developed based on particular theories which does not really fit the examination oriented educational system of Hong Kong. Therefore, when I am choosing the CALL materials, I rather pick those materials which focus on drilling and practising ones which at least I think they can help my students tackle those important public examinations.

No comments: